Bear runs loose in Princeton, New Jersey
PRINCETON, N.J. - June 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Residents in Princeton, New Jersey are on their toes after a small black bear was spotted at a number of places in town.
"There was a black bear up in the cedar tree and I finally looked and the poor thing looked so frightened," said Sean Chen.
The bear is three foot tall and weighs about 150 pounds. Chopper 6 captured the animal in action on Wednesday near the Princeton Shopping Center.
He was also spotted in the parking lot of Conte's and running through the garage of an old hospital before finding himself up a tree an area cemetery.
"There he was just chillin' up in the tree and there was a whole bunch of cops around. They put that "Do Not Cross" signal up but you had a whole spectacle - basically people blocking the way to see the bear," said Frank Joynes.
Authorities put out a reverse 911 call to warn residents but the bear has become a big attraction. People lined the fence at the cemetery, hoping to get a look.
"[He was] swinging his legs and his arms - kind of like he was sleeping. Everybody was laughing. Everybody enjoyed it because you never see this thing here," said Raul Herrera.
Herrera along with many other people snapped pictures of the bear with their cell phones. Police, firefighters and animal control officials kept an eye on the bear at the cemetery but then decided to back off.
"We have deer in here all the time, definitely groundhogs and rabbits but first time for bears," said Doug Sutphen, the cemetery's superintendent.
The cemetery is just blocks from Princeton University where this weekend the annual all-class reunion is planned.
There will be plenty of Pricenton Tigers returning to campus and they may not like if a bear crashes the party.
new jersey, princeton, animals, local/state, nora muchanic
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester 50 min ago
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford 51 min ago
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire 54 min ago
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession 10 min ago
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
53 min ago