NASCAR fans prepare for Sunday's Monster Mile
DOVER, Del. - June 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- The race is on at Dover International Speedway, and the rubber is burning. Fans are camped out and everyone is getting ready for the big race on Sunday.
NASCARS biggest names are preparing to tackle the Monster Mile on Sunday for the Spring Cup Series.
The luckiest fans got VIP access to the pit and an opportunity to snag Jeff Gordon's autograph.
"I'm a big fan of Kyle Bush, because he can drive a car," said Gene Richnafsky.
Many fans are camping out and talking racing.
Most fans are planted in neighboring lots like Gene Richnafsky of Maryland. The 20 year old NASCAR fan says the sport is in his blood.
"It's a rush an adrenaline rush," Gene said.
It's a common bond that brings an eclectic group of campers together.
"My name is Jello Bob. I brought 662 Jello shots," said Bob Currie.
Bob packed the party, poker chips and his best pals for a weekend of fun.
And not far away, the sausages were sizzling as another group of guys took advantage of male bonding time.
"I have my three sons here, my brother and my cousin," said Shawn Fenton. "It's a nice time."
The drivers are out practicing, but come Sunday, the bleachers will be packed with about 80,000 spectators for the big race.
Thousands of people mean roughly $40 million in profits for the state of Delaware.
"This is a big deal," said Denis McGlynn. "It's the biggest deal in Delaware and has been for the longest time."
President and CEO of Dover Motor Sports Denis says the Speedway is the second largest tourist attraction in the state, right behind the beaches.
"It vibrates your bones, and will suck the air out of your lungs; it will make you dizzy," McGlynn said.
A total body experience everyone should try at least once.
nascar, dover, delaware, local/state
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Temps Soar 58 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 44 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly 27 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 4 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
58 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
44 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West...
27 min ago