Authorities: Victim died before DUI crash on NJ bridge
PHILADELPHIA - June 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say that a man pronounced dead after an accident on the Ben Franklin Bridge, actually died before the crash occured.
It happened just before 6:30pm in the westbound lanes.
Officials say a 19-year-old male was behind the wheel when his vehicle struck a van that was broken down in the right lane.
Five people were injured and taken to area hosptials.
A 60-year-old man was pronounced dead but authorities say the victim died prior to the accident. The Medical Examiner has not yet released a cause of death.
The teenage driver is set to face charges for DUI, not for the victim's death.
Westbound lanes of the bridge were shut down as authorities investigated.
ben franklin bridge, accident, philadelphia, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos