Phila. mother seeks justice in son's homicide
PHILADELPHIA - June 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- A young man's life was taken just as it was getting started, and his family is pleading with anyone with information to come forward.
"My son was a good kid," said Nilsa Romero.
Nilsa Romero remembers her son's strong spirit and his undying devotion to his younger sister, Mileena.
"I looked up to him like my father," said Mileena.
18-year-old Emilio Lopez was just beginning his adult life.
"He had just graduated high school in June, and was to start technical school for computers," said Nilsa.
On Tuesday, September 28, 2010, Emilio told his mother he was going to a friend's house for a cookout.
"I said be careful, and he left and that was the last I've ever seen my son," Nilsa said.
Just before 11:00pm, shots rang out on the 7200 block of Rupert Street in Northeast Philadelphia.
While in a car with some other friends, Emilio was hit multiple times and died. No one else was injured.
"They said that this guy came to the car and supposedly he had a mask and just told my son give me your stuff," said Nilsa.
Authorities believe Emilio was robbed, but so far, no one has been able to give a clear description of the shooter.
The Citizens Crime Commission is offering a $2,000 reward. The city of Philadelphia is offering up to $20,000 for information leading to an arrest and conviction.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Citizens Crime Commission at 215-546-TIPS, or the Philadelphia Police Hotline at 215-686-TIPS.
"All I want is closure," said Nilsa. "I want to know who took my son's life and for what."
For Nilsa, she still struggles with the fact that she is still here.
"It was supposed to be me who left before my son, so it's hard," she said.
crimefighters, homicide, north philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)