Police shoot man near Temple campus
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - June 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police are sorting out the details of a dramatic overnight gun fight near the campus of Temple University, which caused officers to open fire.
It all began around 2:00 a.m. Tuesday with a minor traffic incident, when a sedan rear-ended a SUV. Temple bike patrol officers who heard the incident rode over to the scene to offer aid.
According to police, the driver of the sedan involved in the incident was armed, and for some reason he started firing at the unarmed security officers.
Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small explained, "We don't know why that the suspect decided to fire at least eight shots - we found eight casings from the suspect's weapon - why the suspect decided to fire eight shots at these uniformed Temple bike officers. Central Detectives is on the scene, Internal Affairs is on the scene because it's a police discharge they're going to do an investigation. We have at least five witnesses."
When bullets started flying, an emergency response call went out. Arriving Philadelphia police officers confronted the armed man. The man reportedly pointed his weapon at police and that's when officers opened fire, striking the gunmen.
"The weapon was recovered by police. It's a .45-caliber Taurus semi-automatic handgun," says Chief Inspector Small.
The 32-year-old suspect was shot once in the thigh and is currently hospitalized in stable condition. His injury was the only one recorded in the incident.
north philadelphia, temple university, police, shooting, local/state
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ