Guilty plea in murder of NJ softball player Nicole Ayres
MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. - June 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- A southern New Jersey man has pleaded guilty to first-degree murder charges in the death of a former star softball player.
Stephen Headley of Florence faces a 30-year prison term - with no chance of parole - when he's sentenced Aug. 3.
But Burlington County prosecutors say they'll ask the judge to give Headley a life term.
The 30-year-old Headley admitted stabbing 22-year-old Nicole Ayres several times in the face, torso and back in September 2010 after they argued at a convenience store.
The prosecutor's office said several hours after the stabbing Headley asked his grandmother to drive him to his mother's house so he could discuss something with the two of them. During that meeting he fled from the house and ran into the road where he was hit by a pickup truck.
He suffered a fractured back, two fractured ankles and multiple fractured ribs.
Ayres' body eventually was found near an athletic field in rural Southampton Township, south of Trenton.
Ayres was a former high school and college softball star from Deptford who had only known Headley a short time. Neither Headley nor prosecutors disclosed what the pair argued about.
new jersey, body found, burlington county, stabbing, homicide, nicole ayres, local/state
- Snow today, heavy at times 33 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm 47 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Video: David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq. 42 min ago
- Video: Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton 51 min ago
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in Norristown
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Heavy flames damage Southwest Philadelphia house
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Snow today, heavy at times
33 min ago
- David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq.
42 min ago
- Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton
51 min ago