Phila. panel considers limits on dogs and cats
CENTER CITY - June 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia city officials are trying to get a handle on the problem of animal hoarding.
Philadelphia City Council's Committee on Public Health and Human Services held a hearing Tuesday to discuss limits on the number of dogs and cats individual residents can have on their property.
The only regulation currently in place is a dog ordinance, which limits the number of dogs on a single property to 12.
There are no rules limiting the number of cats or other pets.
Recent raids on homes in the city have shown in excess of dozens and dozens of animals in unsanitary conditions.
Committee members heard testimony and held a public discussion on the following proposals:
Ordinance 120049: An ordinance amending Chapter 10-100 of The Philadelphia Code, entitled "Animals," to provide for limits on the numbers of dogs and cats, sterilized and unsterilized, permitted on residential properties, all under certain terms and conditions.
Resolution 120222: A Resolution authorizing City Council's Committee on Public Health and Human Services to hold hearings to examine the prevalence and implications of intergenerational households in Philadelphia.
philadelphia, animals, hoarding, city hall, philadelphia city council, local/state
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 37 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
37 min ago
- Fire damages corner store in North Phila.
40 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos