Reading schools laying off 110 teachers
READING, Pa. - June 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- More than 100 teachers in the Reading School District are going to lose their jobs as the district faces a $40 million budget shortfall for the coming year.
The district said Tuesday it's laying off 110 teachers and eliminating 60 other teaching jobs through attrition. The layoffs are effective at the end of this week.
The teachers' union blamed the layoffs on state budget cuts targeting school funding and blamed Gov. Tom Corbett for funding cuts at what it calls "the poorest city in the entire nation."
The district's director of human resources say about 180 non-teaching jobs will also be eliminated. All additional layoff notices could be sent by the end of the week.
reading, berks county, pennsylvania, school, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 9 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet 53 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane 59 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act 37 min ago
- Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane
59 min ago