Reading schools laying off 110 teachers
READING, Pa. - June 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- More than 100 teachers in the Reading School District are going to lose their jobs as the district faces a $40 million budget shortfall for the coming year.
The district said Tuesday it's laying off 110 teachers and eliminating 60 other teaching jobs through attrition. The layoffs are effective at the end of this week.
The teachers' union blamed the layoffs on state budget cuts targeting school funding and blamed Gov. Tom Corbett for funding cuts at what it calls "the poorest city in the entire nation."
The district's director of human resources say about 180 non-teaching jobs will also be eliminated. All additional layoff notices could be sent by the end of the week.
reading, berks county, pennsylvania, school, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 47 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery 14 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Police search for suspects in religious...
14 min ago