Curious George has a new sister, Georgette!
June 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Many people remember the story of Curious George, the Pit bull-American bulldog mix who was severely abused and found near death in Delaware County last year.
Curious George spent months recovering at the Delaware County SPCA. He was later adopted, and now has an adoptive doggie sister!
Curious George's sister was officially adopted Wednesday by the same Bryn Mawr couple who adopted him a few weeks before Christmas.
Her name is Georgette; named after George because their appearance and neglect were similar.
Georgette was found roaming the streets of Chester last November, less than two weeks after George made his way to the Delaware County SPCA on Halloween.
"She was very skinny, rooting through the trash, fending for herself," said Justina Calgiano from the Delco SPCA.
"As soon as I saw her, it reminded me of George, so that's why I named her Georgette," said David Schlott.
But officials say Curious George was a case of intentional neglect, which resulted in a humane investigation case where a suspect was eventually prosecuted. Georgette was a stray with fear issues.
"I transported her to the SPCA, and I knew they would do everything they could to help her out, and they did," said Justina.
George weighed only 35 pounds when he was found. He now is a healthy 80 lbs. Georgette has gained 20 lbs.
Aimee Tysarczyk and her husband heard about Georgette, who they now affectionately call Gigi, after planning to adopt George.
"We've been keeping our eye on her to see how she is progressing, and when the opportunity came to take her into our home, we said, let's do it!" Aimee said.
They made it official on Wednesday, but first the couple participated in a foster-to-adopt arrangement with Gigi.
"This means she would stay with us a couple of weeks until we determine if it was the right fit for her and the right fit for us, which thankfully, it was," said Aimee.
Curious George posted a photo of a sleeping Georgette on his Facebook page last month along with this message: "My new playmate, Ms. Gigi, dreaming of her forever home..."
"To know that Georgette is going to Curious George's home is like striking gold," said Justina.
Both George and Gigi have become great socialized dogs. Aimee Tsarczyk says they get along fabulously!
spca, animal rescue, animal abuse, pennsylvania, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs