Snockey's continues to be a Philly favorite
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - June 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- There was a time when Philadelphia was inundated with oyster houses, and many of the names are legendary. But relatively few are still in business.
One that's endured for a century is Snockey's Oyster and Crab House, now in its fourth location at 1022 S. 2nd Street, just about Washington Avenue in South Philly.
Ken and Skip Snock are third-generation owners. Their daughters are already at work, so a fourth generation is aboard.
When the Snocks' grandmother opened the business in 1912, the menu offered about 15 items. Today, there are about a hundred, but the family 15 remain, unchanged from a hundred years ago.
You may be sure that someone named Snock visits the local seafood distribution center any day it's open, choosing the best of what's available. Typically, that will mean 13 to 15 varieties of oyster from the East and West Coasts.
Oysters come in a variety of flavors and sizes, and species harvested relatively close together may have two completely different flavor profiles.
If you're not sure what you like, you may choose an oyster sampler and enjoy four different varieties from the day's menu. Or tell your server the taste you have in mind and the house will do its best to get you there. Many restaurants have a happy hour, but Snockey's has their "clammy" hour, when select clams and oysters are available for 60 cents each...a bargain.
The menu, which the brothers describe as 98% seafood, also includes a generous selection of shrimp, lobster, and always two kinds of crab cakes, one breaded and fried, another unbreaded and broiled. A room is available for private parties, and Snockey's has a full bar with many draft beer selections.
For more information, visit Snockey's Oyster and Crab House. You may also phone them at 215-339-9578.
food, philadelphia, pennsylvania, local/state
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book