Bank bandit caught on camera, pursued by witness in Montco
LOWER PROVIDENCE TWP., Pa. - June 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Lower Providence Township are on the hunt for a bank bandit caught on camera, then pursued for miles by a witness.
The man held up a Citizens Bank branch in the Audubon Village Shopping Center on Audubon Village Drive at 11:20 a.m. Thursday.
Police say the man wearing a brown or tan cap and dark sunglasses handed the teller a note demanding money. The teller complied, and the bandit fled on foot with an undetermined amount of cash.
Police say he got a short distance on Pawlings Road side of the shopping center when a dye pack hidden in the cash exploded. A witness called police.
Meantime, the man got into a black Kia SUV, left the shopping center and turned onto Pawlings Road. Another witness saw what had happened and started following the SUV from Pawlings Road onto Audubon Road, then to Route 363 and onto eastbound Route 422.
That witness called police on a mobile phone while following the suspect and gave dispatchers the vehicle's tag number, description, and route of travel. Police say the witness stopped following the suspect near the Route 23 interchange of Route 422.
The suspect is described as a white male, in his twenties, approximately 5'6" to 5'8" tall, with facial hair. He was wearing aviator sunglasses and a tan or brown cap.
If you recognize the man in the surveillance picture or have information about the case, you are asked to contact the Lower Providence Township Police Department at 610-539-5900.
pennsylvania, robbery, bank robbery, caught on camera, montgomery county, local/state
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp.
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1