Jurors break for long weekend in priest abuse trial in Phila.
PHILADELPHIA - June 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- For Msgr. William Lynn and co-defendant Rev. James Brennan, there will be no verdict until Monday at the earliest.
After a fourth full day of deliberations, the jury in the priest sex abuse trial is getting Friday off because jury members are to attend family-related graduation ceremonies.
Lynn faces charges of endangering the welfare of a child for allegedly failing to keep suspected pedophile priests out of parish posts with regular access to children.
Because Lynn was the clergy secretary for the Philadelphia Archdiocese, the outcome of this trial is being watched all the way to the Vatican.
"This is the first time anybody has been charged with criminal charges for covering up child abuse. And this is a remarkable moment, but it's also one that has all the bishops in the country concerned," said legal expert Marci Hamilton.
Rev. Brennan is also charged with the attempted rape of a 14-year-old altar boy back in 1996. He denies any improper behavior.
Msgr. Lynn claims he was power in the wake of orders from the late archbishop, Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua.
Jurors will return to the courtroom Monday afternoon. So far there are no signs that a verdict is near.
philadelphia, philadelphia archdiocese, child sex assault, local/state, vernon odom
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- London theater partially collapses during performance 2 min ago
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings 4 min ago
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos