Police: Woman scammed neighbor of $300,000
BENSALEM, Pa. - June 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Bucks County woman is suspected of scamming her neighbor out of $300,000.
Police say 65-year-old Virginia Marquardt, of Bensalem, obtained Power of Attorney over her neighbor when the neighbor entered a nursing home in 2007.
Authorities say Marquardt then took over the victim's bank account and had a new will drawn up.
Payments to the victim's nursing home eventually stopped.
Police say Marquardt used that money to buy herself, and her husband, Edward, luxury items and vacations.
She is charged with Theft by Deception, Theft by failing to make required disposition of funds and related offenses.
Marquardt is currently out on bail.
pennsylvania, bucks county, scam, local/state
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in 58 min ago
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids