3 firefighters injured in Upper Darby blaze
UPPER DARBY - June 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say three firefighters - battling a house fire in Upper Darby - were injured when part of a ceiling collapsed.
The fire brok out shortly before 4:00 Friday afternoon on the 200 block of Sheffield Road.
Fire officials say the flames started in the kitchen and smoke was seen coming from the two-story home as crews arrived. It also affected two homes nearby.
"There was a fire in the kitchen. The fire was put out. There was extensive damage to the home. As the firefighters were rehabbing the building, the ceiling in the living room collapsed," said Thomas Judge the Chief Administrative Officer of Upper Darby Township.
Firefighters Sam Caroluzzi and John Heffernan were taken to Delaware County Memorial Hospital where they were later released. The third firefighter, identified as J.R. Shultz, remains at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in stable condition.
An occupant inside the home was able to escape without injury.
The Red Cross says they are assisting at least two families who were displaced by the fire.
No word what sparked the blaze.
pennsylvania, delaware county, upper darby, fire, local/state
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 23 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today 9 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer 26 min ago
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load 19 min ago
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days 21 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Firing of school official in dog waste incident overturned
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport 17 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy...
26 min ago
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
23 min ago
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
21 min ago
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by...
19 min ago