3 firefighters injured in Upper Darby blaze
UPPER DARBY - June 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say three firefighters - battling a house fire in Upper Darby - were injured when part of a ceiling collapsed.
The fire brok out shortly before 4:00 Friday afternoon on the 200 block of Sheffield Road.
Fire officials say the flames started in the kitchen and smoke was seen coming from the two-story home as crews arrived. It also affected two homes nearby.
"There was a fire in the kitchen. The fire was put out. There was extensive damage to the home. As the firefighters were rehabbing the building, the ceiling in the living room collapsed," said Thomas Judge the Chief Administrative Officer of Upper Darby Township.
Firefighters Sam Caroluzzi and John Heffernan were taken to Delaware County Memorial Hospital where they were later released. The third firefighter, identified as J.R. Shultz, remains at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in stable condition.
An occupant inside the home was able to escape without injury.
The Red Cross says they are assisting at least two families who were displaced by the fire.
No word what sparked the blaze.
pennsylvania, delaware county, upper darby, fire, local/state
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 7 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 11 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Couple accused of letting 2-year-old smoke pot
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 49 min ago
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity 39 min ago
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
11 min ago