Police: NJ teen killed in fall from cliff
FORT LEE, N.J. (AP) - June 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a 16-year-old boy was killed when he fell from a cliff at Palisades Interstate Park in New Jersey.
The Fort Lee teen, whose name was not disclosed, was with a 16-year-old Edgewater girl when he fell around 9:40 p.m. Friday.
The accident occurred in the park's Fort Lee section, just north of the George Washington Bridge. The girl told authorities that she and the boy had been walking in the area and that he had fallen backward from the cliff.
Investigators say the victim fell after he went past a safety railing near the edge of the cliff. Their rescue efforts were hampered by the remote location where the accident occurred and various hazards in the area.
The death is not considered suspicious, but remains under investigation.
new jersey, teens, fatal fall, local/state
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 41 min ago
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection 56 min ago
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 41 min ago
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County 18 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 10 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 36 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Skippack student hospitalized with...
56 min ago