8 year old fighting cancer hosts Alex's Lemonade Stand
SWEDESBORO, N.J. - June 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- An eight year old New Jersey boy spent his Saturday raising money to help fight childhood cancer, but many believe that he deserves a medal of his own.
Eight year old Mario Carpino organized the fundraiser hosting Alex's Lemonade Stand in honor of Alex Scott who died of cancer in 2004.
The little man with a big heart is currently in the midst of his own battle against 6 inoperable brain tumors.
Saturday, he rallied his Swedesboro, New Jersey community together to take a stand and fight childhood cancer, and was filled with joy doing so.
"Because the people in the hospital need more medicine," said Mario.
"He lost a lot of friends at CHOP, and he wants to be sure he doesn't lose anymore," said Anna Carpino, Mario's mom.
Mario's mom is proud of her motivated son; so is his community.
"I don't know Mario personally, but I pray for him and hope this really helps," said Chris Justice.
Dozens of people showed up to the Woolwich Fire Department and joined in face and body painting, a dunk tank and dancing to show their support for Mario and his friends who are also battling the disease.
"I had cancer, and I want to help other people with cancer, too," said Maddie Ferris.
"We were in the hospital for 210 straight days," said Phyllis Talbot.
Phyllis Talbot's son Jake was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer last year. It is events like these that help lift the spirits of our youngest fighters.
"Out of all the things I've done in the 12 years, I've been in the fire house, this is probably the most rewarding," said Kevin Talarico of the Woolwich Fire Department.
The Woolwich Fire Department has taken its biggest little fan under its wing. In 2007, the crew named Mario an honorary firefighter, and now they regard him as a hero.
Mario says he plans to hold an even bigger event next year.
cancer, children, new jersey, local/state
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Record Warmth! 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book
- Record Warmth!
6 min ago