8 year old fighting cancer hosts Alex's Lemonade Stand
SWEDESBORO, N.J. - June 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- An eight year old New Jersey boy spent his Saturday raising money to help fight childhood cancer, but many believe that he deserves a medal of his own.
Eight year old Mario Carpino organized the fundraiser hosting Alex's Lemonade Stand in honor of Alex Scott who died of cancer in 2004.
The little man with a big heart is currently in the midst of his own battle against 6 inoperable brain tumors.
Saturday, he rallied his Swedesboro, New Jersey community together to take a stand and fight childhood cancer, and was filled with joy doing so.
"Because the people in the hospital need more medicine," said Mario.
"He lost a lot of friends at CHOP, and he wants to be sure he doesn't lose anymore," said Anna Carpino, Mario's mom.
Mario's mom is proud of her motivated son; so is his community.
"I don't know Mario personally, but I pray for him and hope this really helps," said Chris Justice.
Dozens of people showed up to the Woolwich Fire Department and joined in face and body painting, a dunk tank and dancing to show their support for Mario and his friends who are also battling the disease.
"I had cancer, and I want to help other people with cancer, too," said Maddie Ferris.
"We were in the hospital for 210 straight days," said Phyllis Talbot.
Phyllis Talbot's son Jake was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer last year. It is events like these that help lift the spirits of our youngest fighters.
"Out of all the things I've done in the 12 years, I've been in the fire house, this is probably the most rewarding," said Kevin Talarico of the Woolwich Fire Department.
The Woolwich Fire Department has taken its biggest little fan under its wing. In 2007, the crew named Mario an honorary firefighter, and now they regard him as a hero.
Mario says he plans to hold an even bigger event next year.
cancer, children, new jersey, local/state
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 36 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide 36 min ago
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall 45 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Vatican insists that no papal exorcism took place
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
36 min ago
- TONIGHT at 11: How the right bra can make...
25 min ago