Dog shot in Tacony home invasion, robbery
TACONY - June 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia authorities are investigating an apparent home invasion and robbery in which the homeowner's dog was shot.
It happened around 1:50 Sunday morning on the 4100 block of Greeby Street.
A sister of the homeowner reported that her brother and cousin left to go to a nearby store.
Two other people were still inside the home when three or four men stormed in asked "Where is the safe? and demanded money.
One of the suspects was armed and shot a 19-month-old pit-bull in the eye. The men fled the scene without taking anything.
The dog was later taken to the vet and had to be put down.
"My brother was really, really close with him - that was his heart. My brother just got the call that they can't save the dog and is heartbroken," said Alexis Rich.
A neighbor told Action News that the dog was very friendly and well-liked by everyone.
"It's just a hateful and despicable thing if you think about it. I'm an animal lover - I'm just appalled," said Chris Dubeck, neighbor
Meanwhile it's the second home invasion in Tacony within 24 hours. Police say another incident happened around 4:00 Saturday morning on the 4800 block of Longshore Avenue.
Five men wearing hoodies and masks order a victim inside of his home. The victim was allegedly pistol whipped with the gun and threatened.
The men took cash and jewelry before fleeing the scene.
No word on any arrests in either crime at this time.
philadelphia, tacony, home invasion, animals, local/state
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis 5 min ago
- DeCoatsworth seeks to withdraw guilty plea 11 min ago
- Mistrial declared in Philly priest sex-abuse case 3 min ago
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm