5th annual Philly's Fallen Hero Ride to Wildwood
PHILADELPHIA - June 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- If you thought you heard a very long rumble of thunder Sunday you might have been hearing the roar of hundreds of motorcycles. It was the day the Bullets Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club hosted its memorial ride to the Jersey Shore.
They are the faces of some of Philadelphia's fallen heroes; police officers who made the ultimate sacrifice.
To honor these lives lost, hundreds gathered at the Police Academy on State Road for the 5th annual Philly's Fallen Heroes Memorial Ride to Wildwood, New Jersey.
"It's a great way to honor them and their families, and to raise some money while doing it," said Bryan Thomas.
"Guys we worked with, guys we loved, guys we knew, it is our way to let families know we didn't forget them," said Michael Duffy.
The support was visible, with scores of motorcyclists filing down the street for a two hour trek down the shore.
The Bullets Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club ride raises money for the families of the fallen.
"We do it for the children in the families, for college and things like that they can go to," said Michael Palmer.
As they neared the end of their journey, it was a different back drop, but the same dedicated spirit.
"Couldn't ask for a better day; good friends, good beer, good brotherhood," said one officer.
"It seems like there is at least 300 to 400 more bikes this year than in the past," said Bill Montgomery.
Bill Montgomery brought his son this time; father son bonding over a good cause.
"It was great," said Rich Montgomery. "I kept showing him how much faster I could go, but I kept getting yelled at all the way."
With good fun followed by good eats, the bikers settled their motors at the wharf to kick back and enjoy good company.
Since the motorcycle club was formed 6 years ago, the police department lost 7 officers in the line of duty. The club has proudly raised more than $220,000 in their honor.
philadelphia police, philadelphia, wildwood, new jersey, local/state
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia 55 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 53 min ago
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier