5th annual Philly's Fallen Hero Ride to Wildwood
PHILADELPHIA - June 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- If you thought you heard a very long rumble of thunder Sunday you might have been hearing the roar of hundreds of motorcycles. It was the day the Bullets Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club hosted its memorial ride to the Jersey Shore.
They are the faces of some of Philadelphia's fallen heroes; police officers who made the ultimate sacrifice.
To honor these lives lost, hundreds gathered at the Police Academy on State Road for the 5th annual Philly's Fallen Heroes Memorial Ride to Wildwood, New Jersey.
"It's a great way to honor them and their families, and to raise some money while doing it," said Bryan Thomas.
"Guys we worked with, guys we loved, guys we knew, it is our way to let families know we didn't forget them," said Michael Duffy.
The support was visible, with scores of motorcyclists filing down the street for a two hour trek down the shore.
The Bullets Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club ride raises money for the families of the fallen.
"We do it for the children in the families, for college and things like that they can go to," said Michael Palmer.
As they neared the end of their journey, it was a different back drop, but the same dedicated spirit.
"Couldn't ask for a better day; good friends, good beer, good brotherhood," said one officer.
"It seems like there is at least 300 to 400 more bikes this year than in the past," said Bill Montgomery.
Bill Montgomery brought his son this time; father son bonding over a good cause.
"It was great," said Rich Montgomery. "I kept showing him how much faster I could go, but I kept getting yelled at all the way."
With good fun followed by good eats, the bikers settled their motors at the wharf to kick back and enjoy good company.
Since the motorcycle club was formed 6 years ago, the police department lost 7 officers in the line of duty. The club has proudly raised more than $220,000 in their honor.
philadelphia police, philadelphia, wildwood, new jersey, local/state
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
- Soupy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Cherry Hill East student injured in crash
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- Police: Driver under influence crashes into fire dept.
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure
- Bucks County bear now spotted in Bristol Twp.
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr