1 dead in shooting outside restaurant in Northern Liberties
NORTHERN LIBERTIES - June 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- Residents of the Piazza at Schmidt's went about their business today, but many expressed deep concern about what happened at the trendy apartment and shopping complex last night.
A man was shot and killed outside the popular PYT burger restaurant.
Shortly after midnight, residents awoke to the gunfire.
"Yeah, I thought it was fireworks cause people have been shooting off fireworks the last couple of weekends, turned out to be a shooting," resident Jeff Sokup said.
Police say the trouble started when two men inside the restaurant got into an argument over remarks made about a woman.
The dispute spilled out to the edge of the courtyard.
24-year-old Maurice Kimble of Upper Darby was shot at least three times in his neck and chest.
He was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead.
The gunman was seen running away with another man and two women.
Police collected surveillance video from the restaurant and surrounding streets in hopes it captured the killer in the act.
Three years ago, a man and woman were gunned down inside one of the apartment buildings in a drug-related crime.
Residents and people who work here say the development has done so much to bring this neighborhood up, but such violent crime sets it back.
"I think it gives the neighborhood, because the neighborhood is not a bad neighborhood. It could be the people that come into this neighborhood," resident Mayra Purcell said.
Police did recover a gun from a nearby dog park, but it's not the murder weapon.
Police are confident they are closing in on the identity of the killer.
philadelphia, northern liberties, homicide, shooting, local/state
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Delco girl still awaiting transplant 18-months later
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Neighbor rescues woman in West Oak Lane fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; hundreds rescued
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore