1 dead in shooting outside restaurant in Northern Liberties
NORTHERN LIBERTIES - June 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- Residents of the Piazza at Schmidt's went about their business today, but many expressed deep concern about what happened at the trendy apartment and shopping complex last night.
A man was shot and killed outside the popular PYT burger restaurant.
Shortly after midnight, residents awoke to the gunfire.
"Yeah, I thought it was fireworks cause people have been shooting off fireworks the last couple of weekends, turned out to be a shooting," resident Jeff Sokup said.
Police say the trouble started when two men inside the restaurant got into an argument over remarks made about a woman.
The dispute spilled out to the edge of the courtyard.
24-year-old Maurice Kimble of Upper Darby was shot at least three times in his neck and chest.
He was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead.
The gunman was seen running away with another man and two women.
Police collected surveillance video from the restaurant and surrounding streets in hopes it captured the killer in the act.
Three years ago, a man and woman were gunned down inside one of the apartment buildings in a drug-related crime.
Residents and people who work here say the development has done so much to bring this neighborhood up, but such violent crime sets it back.
"I think it gives the neighborhood, because the neighborhood is not a bad neighborhood. It could be the people that come into this neighborhood," resident Mayra Purcell said.
Police did recover a gun from a nearby dog park, but it's not the murder weapon.
Police are confident they are closing in on the identity of the killer.
philadelphia, northern liberties, homicide, shooting, local/state
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 32 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia 56 min ago
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ