1 dead in shooting outside restaurant in Northern Liberties
NORTHERN LIBERTIES - June 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- Residents of the Piazza at Schmidt's went about their business today, but many expressed deep concern about what happened at the trendy apartment and shopping complex last night.
A man was shot and killed outside the popular PYT burger restaurant.
Shortly after midnight, residents awoke to the gunfire.
"Yeah, I thought it was fireworks cause people have been shooting off fireworks the last couple of weekends, turned out to be a shooting," resident Jeff Sokup said.
Police say the trouble started when two men inside the restaurant got into an argument over remarks made about a woman.
The dispute spilled out to the edge of the courtyard.
24-year-old Maurice Kimble of Upper Darby was shot at least three times in his neck and chest.
He was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead.
The gunman was seen running away with another man and two women.
Police collected surveillance video from the restaurant and surrounding streets in hopes it captured the killer in the act.
Three years ago, a man and woman were gunned down inside one of the apartment buildings in a drug-related crime.
Residents and people who work here say the development has done so much to bring this neighborhood up, but such violent crime sets it back.
"I think it gives the neighborhood, because the neighborhood is not a bad neighborhood. It could be the people that come into this neighborhood," resident Mayra Purcell said.
Police did recover a gun from a nearby dog park, but it's not the murder weapon.
Police are confident they are closing in on the identity of the killer.
philadelphia, northern liberties, homicide, shooting, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police