Truck hits house, car crushed, Jeep overturns in Route 1 crashes
MIDDLETOWN, Pa. - June 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- A series of events led to multiple accidents on Route 1 in Middletown, Bucks County including a truck crashing into a home.
The incidents unfolded in the area of Hulmeville Road after 10:30 a.m.
Officials say a car was weaving in and out of traffic on southbound Route 1. Not wanting to hit the car, a truck driven by Bear Shelby veered and jumped the guardrail.
View Photos:Website | Wireless
"This person acted as if he was in a NASCAR race or running from the police," Shelby said.
After he jumped the guard rail, Shelby says he narrowly missed a northbound Jeep.
He managed to steer clear of a utility pole.
At that point, he undid his seatbelt and hit the floor.
"I got trees, telephone pole, all kinds of things that come through that windshield. That seatbelt's coming off and I'm going to the floor," Shelby said. Shelby says he never saw the house.
When the truck stopped, he was shocked to find himself looking at a bedroom and tremendously relieved to learn no one was at home.
Starlene Phillips, the woman who sleeps in that room, had left just a short time earlier to run some errands.
"It's just devastating, I mean, people really need to slow down and take their time because a lot of lives are different now because of it," Phillips said.
Phillips' house was moved three feet off its foundation
In the meantime, the driver who allegedly caused the crash declined to talk to Action News.
Police say the man, identified as Kwame Picou of Morrisville, caused the accident by making an illegal lane change.
He clipped the truck that hit the house and then his car became wedged under the wheels of another semi rig.
It was dragged 200 yards down the highway.
Shelby has a few choice words for Picou.
"Stupidity. This is what it gets you, guy; this is exactly what it gets you," Shelby said.
As for that Jeep Shelby's truck almost hit, it pulled off the highway and started backing up at a high rate of speed.
The driver lost control and it flipped on its roof.
However, there were no injuries in any of these accidents.
Picou will initially face a reckless driving charge and, most likely, more than one lawsuit.
Find out about Breaking News as it happens. Sign up for 6abc.com Breaking News Alerts.
pennsylvania, bucks county, accident, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 1 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 1 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 42 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow 57 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases