Another reward in Coatesville dog burning case
COATESVILLE, Pa. - June 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Another reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest in an animal cruelty case where a dog was found on fire in Coatesville.
The incident happened on the morning of June 9, on the 300 block of West Coates Street.
Authorities say the dog was found burning in three plastic bags that had a chemical poured on them. A post mortem exam showed that the dog was also asphyxiated.
The Chester County SPCA is offering a $3,500 reward and the Humane Society of the United States is offering a $2,500 reward in the case.
Meanwhile, the dog's owner, Cora Brown, is still heartbroken and horrified.
She confirmed it was her beloved pooch named Woogie, a 4-and-a-half-year-old Yorkshire Poodle mix called a Yorkypoo.
Woogie escaped from Brown's home Friday afternoon before the incident.
"This is senseless for someone to hurt him, to kill him. But I feel some sense of relief that he didn't get burned prior to dying," Brown said.
SPCA officials are equally as shocked by the crime.
"I want to say 90% of the dog's body was charred. The bags had melted on to it, the intense heat melted to the body of the dog," Craig Baxter of the Chester County SPCA said.
Brown can't make sense of someone wanting to harm the happy little dog she says kept her company through some of her darkest hours.
"Through my chemo, my radiation, my breast cancer, he was right there; he stayed with me when no one else was there, he was my partner. I just loved him," Brown said.
pennsylvania, coatesville, chester county, dogs, animals, animal abuse, local/state
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 22 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos