Police ID subway rape suspect caught on camera
PHILADELPHIA - June 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have identified the man charged for allegedly raping a woman after she got off a subway train.
Joseph Woods, 41, from the 1800 block of Mountain Street, is charged with rape, robbery and other offenses.
The rape happened back on the night of May 26th. Police say the victim was riding a SEPTA Broad Street train north to Lehigh Avenue. As she got off, she noticed a man following her from the Lehigh Avenue concourse.
Police say Woods approached her, put a knife to her stomach, forced her into a parking lot on 15th Street and sexually assaulted her.
Authorities released the surveillance video last week in hopes of finding the suspect.
After the video was released, police say tips helped them identify Woods. It was discovered that Woods was already in custody on an unrelated charge.
philadelphia, sex assault, caught on camera, north philadelphia, local/state
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding 49 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Water main break cancels Cheyney U. classes
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 46 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 44 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 40 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Tour bus catches fire in Galloway Twp. 45 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Bucks Co.
- Rangers top Flyers in playoff opener 4-1 39 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting
44 min ago
- Search continues for robbers in armored car...
46 min ago
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's...
49 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
42 min ago