Police ID subway rape suspect caught on camera
PHILADELPHIA - June 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have identified the man charged for allegedly raping a woman after she got off a subway train.
Joseph Woods, 41, from the 1800 block of Mountain Street, is charged with rape, robbery and other offenses.
The rape happened back on the night of May 26th. Police say the victim was riding a SEPTA Broad Street train north to Lehigh Avenue. As she got off, she noticed a man following her from the Lehigh Avenue concourse.
Police say Woods approached her, put a knife to her stomach, forced her into a parking lot on 15th Street and sexually assaulted her.
Authorities released the surveillance video last week in hopes of finding the suspect.
After the video was released, police say tips helped them identify Woods. It was discovered that Woods was already in custody on an unrelated charge.
philadelphia, sex assault, caught on camera, north philadelphia, local/state
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 25 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash 25 min ago
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- Carolers to perform for cancer patient in...
3 min ago