Police ID subway rape suspect caught on camera
PHILADELPHIA - June 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have identified the man charged for allegedly raping a woman after she got off a subway train.
Joseph Woods, 41, from the 1800 block of Mountain Street, is charged with rape, robbery and other offenses.
The rape happened back on the night of May 26th. Police say the victim was riding a SEPTA Broad Street train north to Lehigh Avenue. As she got off, she noticed a man following her from the Lehigh Avenue concourse.
Police say Woods approached her, put a knife to her stomach, forced her into a parking lot on 15th Street and sexually assaulted her.
Authorities released the surveillance video last week in hopes of finding the suspect.
After the video was released, police say tips helped them identify Woods. It was discovered that Woods was already in custody on an unrelated charge.
philadelphia, sex assault, caught on camera, north philadelphia, local/state
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado 3 min ago
- Soupy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire 16 min ago
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Cherry Hill East student injured in crash 41 min ago
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure
- Conn. commuter rail service to resume Wednesday
- Nurse viciously attacked outside Cooper Hospital
- Bucks County bear now spotted in Bristol Twp.
- Diet Detours: Healthy grilling
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
3 min ago