Body found in Margate ID'd as missing Phila. boy
ATLANTIC CITY - June 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities tell Action News a body that washed ashore in Margate on Wednesday has been identified as Khitan DeVine.
The body was found just south of where the 10-year-old boy vanished in the ocean on Sunday .
Khitan disappeared in the water while swimming with his family near Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard in Atlantic City.
Lifeguards were off duty at the time.
Authorities say the Atlantic City Beach Patrol rescued Devine's sister from a jetty that she was holding on to.
Khitan's stepmother, Rosemary Brown, told Action News the family was met with a strong current.
"It was a current that pulled us under," Rosemary Brown said.
The Coast Guard suspended its search for Khitan on Monday night.
"The decision to suspend a search is very difficult, but after an exhaustive search by crews last night and all day today, the Coast Guard suspended our search for the missing boy. I cannot imagine the sadness felt by the child's family, and my deepest sympathy goes out to them," Capt. Kathy Moore, the commander of Coast Guard Sector Delaware Bay in Philadelphia said in a statement Monday.
new jersey, atlantic city, atlantic county, missing children, local/state
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police-involved shooting in Southwest Philadelphia
- Fire damages corner produce store in North Philly 2 min ago
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Middle Township crash
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Arrest warrant issued in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
7 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos