Body found in Margate ID'd as missing Phila. boy
ATLANTIC CITY - June 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities tell Action News a body that washed ashore in Margate on Wednesday has been identified as Khitan DeVine.
The body was found just south of where the 10-year-old boy vanished in the ocean on Sunday .
Khitan disappeared in the water while swimming with his family near Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard in Atlantic City.
Lifeguards were off duty at the time.
Authorities say the Atlantic City Beach Patrol rescued Devine's sister from a jetty that she was holding on to.
Khitan's stepmother, Rosemary Brown, told Action News the family was met with a strong current.
"It was a current that pulled us under," Rosemary Brown said.
The Coast Guard suspended its search for Khitan on Monday night.
"The decision to suspend a search is very difficult, but after an exhaustive search by crews last night and all day today, the Coast Guard suspended our search for the missing boy. I cannot imagine the sadness felt by the child's family, and my deepest sympathy goes out to them," Capt. Kathy Moore, the commander of Coast Guard Sector Delaware Bay in Philadelphia said in a statement Monday.
new jersey, atlantic city, atlantic county, missing children, local/state
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Record Warmth! 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book
- Record Warmth!
15 min ago