Underground fire sparks CO incident, evacuations in Delaware Co.
DARBY BOROUGH, Pa. - June 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Several businesses and residential buildings were evacuated after carbon monoxide was detected in Darby Borough.
PECO officials tell Action News it began when one of its electrical lines caught fire underground, releasing thick smoke.
Several residents called emergency responders reporting a bad odor and possible carbon monoxide fumes.
Firefighters responded to the 800 block of Main Street at about 1:30 p.m. and began evacuating people from several businesses, a senior living center and a boarding house.
Several people from the boarding house who complained of feeling ill were taken to Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital to be checked out.
Police shut down Main Street so crews could work to contain the underground fire.
PECO shut off the power to the line resulting in 110 customers in the immediate area to lose electricity in their homes. By 9:50 p.m., 16 PECO customers remained without power.
Power is expected to be restored early tomorrow morning.
A PECO spokesman said when insulation on an electrical line heats up and burns, it can release CO.
The Red Cross is providing lodging to 12 people.
Find out about Breaking News as it happens. Sign up for 6abc.com Breaking News Alerts.
pennsylvania, delaware county, carbon monoxide, local/state
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 41 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Crescentville shooting 13 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough apartment 32 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion 44 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster 54 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Frost Advisory Overnight
7 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
41 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
32 min ago