Serial robber caught on tape in Upper Darby
UPPER DARBY, pa. - June 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Upper Darby are trying to find the men behind a series of recent robberies.
At least one of the crimes was caught on tape, and Upper Darby Police are hoping the surveillance tape and other clues will help them track down the suspects.
Investigators are particularly concerned about is how brazen these robberies are.
Surveillance video of the armed thieves hitting the 7-11 on Garrett Road shows them walk in, put a gun to the head of a customer, take the $20 bill she is holding in her hand, and then empty the cash registers.
The masked gun-men then casually leave the store, and walk away from the scene.
"You can see they don't care just by the way they leave the store after the robberies. They just walk out of the store like they're going on a picnic," said Upper Darby Police Supt. Michael Chitwood.
Investigators believe these same two men are responsible for at least five armed robberies in Upper Darby over the past month; three of which occurred since last Friday, and all but one taking place in the middle of the work day with customers inside the stores.
The other businesses held-up include the United Artists Theater, Pizza Hut, the Metro PCS Store, and the Auto Zone; all on or near, South 69th Street.
"These guys are urban terrorists. They are threatening our community. We've got to get these guys off the streets before they hurt somebody and hurt them seriously," said Chitwood.
A still photo from the surveillance video catches a quick glimpse of one of the thieves before he pulls down his mask.
Police are asking anyone who may recognize the man to call the Upper Darby Police Department.
People who live near the crimes scenes say these cases cannot be solved soon enough.
"I hope they do catch the guys that are doing it," said Kathleen Johnson.
"I thought Upper Darby was a little under wraps, but I guess it's not. All I can say is protect yourself," said Adrienne Simmons.
These guys may be responsible for other robberies in the area, and should be considered as armed and dangerous.
robbery, upper darby, pennsylvania, local/state, walter perez
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 9 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 45 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
9 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos