Water main break causes problems in Del.
WILMINGTON, Del. - June 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 24-inch water main break is continuing to cause problems for customers in Delaware.
The water main break is located in the area of 16th Street between Market and French streets in Wilmington.
Officials say customers in the city and those in New Castle County can expect to experience low water pressure.
They ask people to conserve water over the next two days as public works crews fix the water main.
On Thursday, Crews installed an inflatable bladder into the water line to stop the flow of water.
If all goes as planned, the main could be fixed by noon Friday.
More on Boil Water Advisory:
The Wilmington Water Department is issuing a precautionary boil water advisory for residents and customers bounded by 7th Street to the South, 16th Street to the North, Washington Street to the West and French Street to the East. The precautionary boil water advisory is the result of a water main break located at French and 16th Street.
As a precaution, water should be brought to a rolling boil for one minute. Customers should boil water for the following: drinking, cooking or baking, making ice cubes, taking medication, brushing teeth, washing food, mixing baby formula or food, mixing juices or drinks, feeding pets, and all other consumption. Water does not have to be boiled for the following activities: showering, washing dishes or clothes. Residents should boil their water until further notice. Restaurants and food establishments are to close if they do not have running water. After water service is restored and approved, all surfaces should be washed, rinsed and sanitized including ice machines and dish machines. Wilmington Water Department water quality crews will collect water samples once the main break is repaired to monitor the quality of the drinking water. It typically takes 24-48 hours to obtain the additional test results so it is important for our customers to continue to boil water until further notice. It is expected that the earliest this notice may be lifted would be Saturday, June 16.
delaware, wilmington, new castle county, water main break, local/state
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 37 min ago
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications 56 min ago
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved 49 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Building under demolition collapses in Old...
37 min ago
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
35 min ago