Girl, 9, abducted and sexually assaulted in Feltonville
Thursday, June 14, 2012
FELTONVILLE - June 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Police Special Victims Unit is investigating a home invasion, abduction and sexual assault of a 9-year-old girl.
Investigators continue to work to identify and capture the man responsible. Neighbors are concerned for the safety of their children and are more vigilant about watching them and locking their doors.
"Only a maniac, only a maniac and someone not in the right state of mind," said Clarissa Smith. The details are alarming. It happened around 4:30am Wednesday morning in the 4600 block of D Street in the Feltonville section of Philadelphia. Police say a man entered a home, undressed and went up to the second floor bedroom where the 9 year old victim was sleeping along with two other siblings. "The child is carried outside of the property to an alley. We have located a scene in the rear of the 4600 block of Rosehill Street, which is about a block away," said Captain John Darby. Police say the parents heard screaming, but the child had a history of sleepwalking and nightmares so they were accustomed to it. "The parents actually heard noises, heard screaming. They discovered that this little girl was missing and the police were called," said Captain Darby. But by that time, the child was being sexually assaulted in an alley way across the street from the Feltonville School.
According to authorities, the suspect told the victim to go home. The assailant is described as an adult black male, 6 feet tall with a thin build and clean shaven. He was wearing a green mask that partially covered his face up to his eyes, grey sweatpants, black t-shirt and black Nike low top sneakers. "We need to be more mindful, more vigilant and more aware of our neighbors," said Leitha Everett. "There are a lot of loose ends as to what happened to this child. Someone knows something," said Smith. The investigation is its preliminary stages. Police have not yet been able to talk to the child themselves. They say they are getting this information from another agency.
(Copyright ©2014 WPVI-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
philadelphia, abduction, child sex assault, home invasion, feltonville, local/state, dann cuellar
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student death 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 14 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 1 min ago
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens 47 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
6abc.com News Links