Man shot dead by Philadelphia Police in West Kensington
WEST KENSINGTON - June 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- A man was shot and killed by Philadelphia Police Wednesday night after police say the man fired at an officer.
The incident took place around 7:30 p.m at E and Ontario Streets in West Kensington.
Police say the suspect first pointed a gun at civilians in the area of the 3200 block of North E Street and that's what prompted them to respond.
Authorities say the man then fired at police as he was driving north along E Street.
Officers returned fire striking the man, who crashed his SUV at E and Ontario.
He was found dead laying outside the vehicle that came to rest against a corner store.
The man's identity has not been released.
philadelphia, shooting, west kensington, philadelphia police, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 37 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?
- Shelter Me: Voorhees Animal Orphanage
54 min ago