Missing NJ boy found at tree nursery
CLAYTON, N.J. - June 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Gloucester County authorities say a young boy with autism, who went missing on Wednesday evening, has been found safe.
7-year-old Malakhai Stewart was last seen in his backyard at approximately 5:15 p.m. in Clayton, New Jersey.
He was found unharmed around 8:00 a.m. Thursday morning at The Four Seasons Nursery on North Delsea Drive by an employee.
Miguel Castalan explained he was driving past when he saw Malakhai crouched over in a wooded area in the back of the nursery. Authorities were quickly notified.
"We're making sure he's the boy. I called my boss. Michelle called police, police came," said Castalan.
"We're extremely relieved. It's been a very long night," said Clayton Police Chief Dennis Marchei said Thursday morning.
Police believe Malakhai wandered overnight, not staying in the same place.
"We don't believe he was there the entire night because the dogs did track several areas," said Marchei.
The discovery ended a 15-hour search. K-9 units canvassed the area with helicopters flying overhead. Many local residents volunteered.
new jersey, gloucester county, missing children, autism, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 2 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Woman killed in Germantown was Villanova prof. 36 min ago
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Pa. girl, 18, survives bear attack 12 min ago
- Man shot, killed on Kensington street 38 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year'; popularity surges 21 min ago
- Stranded family found alive in Nevada
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial 24 min ago
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
2 min ago
- Katherine Scott reports on bitter cold...
13 min ago
- Pope Francis 'Person of the Year';...
21 min ago