Arrest in deadly Berks County hit-and-run
READING, Pa. - June 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police announced an arrest in the hit-and-run crash that killed a 3-year-old girl in Berks County.
Authorities say 18-year-old Justin Taylor of South Heidelberg Township was behind the wheel of this red pickup truck, when he ran over little JaLexy Bobet Thursday night.Reading Police Officers escorted the suspected driver from the police station Friday night.
Meanwhile Ja'Lexy's family is still trying to cope with the loss. The young girl was struck at the intersection of 10th and Cotton streets. "He just left her there like she's trash. She was a beautiful girl," said Nancy Roman, the victim's aunt.
Around 7:00 p.m., neighbors looked on as the young victim was loaded onto an ambulance and were shocked that the driver was nowhere to be found.
Surveillance cameras caught the fleeing vehicle, and eventually Taylor contacted police to turn himself in. Officers say it was not his truck, and he did not have a driver's license.
"See that's why I tell you, it's very important - wait for mom and don't cross," said Nancy.
It's a lesson learned by many of the children in the Reading neighborhood where the young girl lived.
The community is hoping the tragedy will also stop drivers from carelessly speeding through the streets.
pennsylvania, reading, berks county, hit and run, local/state
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road 55 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler 36 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Funeral for Nelson Mandela to be held Dec. 15th 45 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Police question suspect in Christmas package theft 38 min ago
- Reward offered after dogs found in trash bags
- Charges filed in alleged chop shop raid in N. Phila. 39 min ago
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Hit and run victim found near Wilmington road
55 min ago
- Police question suspect in Christmas...
38 min ago