Arrest in deadly Berks County hit-and-run
READING, Pa. - June 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police announced an arrest in the hit-and-run crash that killed a 3-year-old girl in Berks County.
Authorities say 18-year-old Justin Taylor of South Heidelberg Township was behind the wheel of this red pickup truck, when he ran over little JaLexy Bobet Thursday night.Reading Police Officers escorted the suspected driver from the police station Friday night.
Meanwhile Ja'Lexy's family is still trying to cope with the loss. The young girl was struck at the intersection of 10th and Cotton streets. "He just left her there like she's trash. She was a beautiful girl," said Nancy Roman, the victim's aunt.
Around 7:00 p.m., neighbors looked on as the young victim was loaded onto an ambulance and were shocked that the driver was nowhere to be found.
Surveillance cameras caught the fleeing vehicle, and eventually Taylor contacted police to turn himself in. Officers say it was not his truck, and he did not have a driver's license.
"See that's why I tell you, it's very important - wait for mom and don't cross," said Nancy.
It's a lesson learned by many of the children in the Reading neighborhood where the young girl lived.
The community is hoping the tragedy will also stop drivers from carelessly speeding through the streets.
pennsylvania, reading, berks county, hit and run, local/state
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos