Arrest in deadly Berks County hit-and-run
READING, Pa. - June 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police announced an arrest in the hit-and-run crash that killed a 3-year-old girl in Berks County.
Authorities say 18-year-old Justin Taylor of South Heidelberg Township was behind the wheel of this red pickup truck, when he ran over little JaLexy Bobet Thursday night.Reading Police Officers escorted the suspected driver from the police station Friday night.
Meanwhile Ja'Lexy's family is still trying to cope with the loss. The young girl was struck at the intersection of 10th and Cotton streets. "He just left her there like she's trash. She was a beautiful girl," said Nancy Roman, the victim's aunt.
Around 7:00 p.m., neighbors looked on as the young victim was loaded onto an ambulance and were shocked that the driver was nowhere to be found.
Surveillance cameras caught the fleeing vehicle, and eventually Taylor contacted police to turn himself in. Officers say it was not his truck, and he did not have a driver's license.
"See that's why I tell you, it's very important - wait for mom and don't cross," said Nancy.
It's a lesson learned by many of the children in the Reading neighborhood where the young girl lived.
The community is hoping the tragedy will also stop drivers from carelessly speeding through the streets.
pennsylvania, reading, berks county, hit and run, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser 12 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show