Philadelphia police officer dies after motorcycle crash (PHOTOS)
PHILADELPHIA - June 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police announced Thursday night that Officer Milan Merke has died of his injuries he received from a motorcycle accident last week.
The accident happened around 7:45 p.m. last Friday night at Broad and Master streets in North Philadelphia.
PHOTOS of the accident scene: WEBSITE | WIRELESS
The off-duty officer was taking part in a motorcycle ride for peace with about 100 other members of the Midnight Run for Peace and Men United for a Better Philadelphia.
The group's aim is trying to stop the violence and drugs in the city.
"The off-duty officer was on his motorcycle going southbound on Broad Street at Master. A car made a left hand turn westbound on Master and the officer on his motorcycle struck that vehicle," Lt. Ray Evers said the night of the accident.
Merke, an officer in the 35th Police District, was rushed to Hahnemann Hospital in critical condition. According to a police statement, he succumbed to his injuries on Thursday.
Action New is told the 28-year-old had recently become a father.
Many of his fellow motorcycle club members kept vigil outside of the hospital the night of the crash, comforting one another and praying.
Merke has been a member of the Men United for a Better Philadelphia group since it was founded eight years ago. Over the years, they have organized rides involving hundreds of motorcycle riders through the most dangerous neighborhoods of Philadelphia.
"That's what this group does," Commissioner Ramsey said. "They go into some of the most crime infested areas and show their presence and try to get people to turn their lives around. They really have done a lot of good."
philadelphia, accident, motorcycles, north philadelphia, local/state
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured 16 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 43 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 2 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- London theater partially collapses; 80...
16 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos