Philadelphia police officer dies after motorcycle crash (PHOTOS)
PHILADELPHIA - June 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police announced Thursday night that Officer Milan Merke has died of his injuries he received from a motorcycle accident last week.
The accident happened around 7:45 p.m. last Friday night at Broad and Master streets in North Philadelphia.
PHOTOS of the accident scene: WEBSITE | WIRELESS
The off-duty officer was taking part in a motorcycle ride for peace with about 100 other members of the Midnight Run for Peace and Men United for a Better Philadelphia.
The group's aim is trying to stop the violence and drugs in the city.
"The off-duty officer was on his motorcycle going southbound on Broad Street at Master. A car made a left hand turn westbound on Master and the officer on his motorcycle struck that vehicle," Lt. Ray Evers said the night of the accident.
Merke, an officer in the 35th Police District, was rushed to Hahnemann Hospital in critical condition. According to a police statement, he succumbed to his injuries on Thursday.
Action New is told the 28-year-old had recently become a father.
Many of his fellow motorcycle club members kept vigil outside of the hospital the night of the crash, comforting one another and praying.
Merke has been a member of the Men United for a Better Philadelphia group since it was founded eight years ago. Over the years, they have organized rides involving hundreds of motorcycle riders through the most dangerous neighborhoods of Philadelphia.
"That's what this group does," Commissioner Ramsey said. "They go into some of the most crime infested areas and show their presence and try to get people to turn their lives around. They really have done a lot of good."
philadelphia, accident, motorcycles, north philadelphia, local/state
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Delco girl still awaiting transplant 18-months later
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Neighbor rescues woman in West Oak Lane fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; hundreds rescued
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore