Ex-Rutgers student in NJ webcam case set to be released
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. - June 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- The former Rutgers student convicted of using a webcam to spy on his roommate will likely be released from prison Tuesday after serving 20 days of a 30-day sentence.
Twenty-year-old Dharun Ravi reported to the Middlesex County Jail on May 31, even though he could have remained free while his case is appealed.
Warden Edmond Cicchi told The Associated Press on Friday that Ravi is in line to be released Tuesday, 20 days after he reported. Like other inmates with that length sentence, he began with five days of credits for good behavior and five for working. The warden said Ravi has not lost any of those credits.
Ravi's roommate, Tyler Clementi, committed suicide in September 2010, days after Ravi used a webcam to see - briefly - live streaming video of Clementi and another man kissing. Ravi was not charged with Clementi's death,
A jury convicted Ravi in March of all 15 criminal counts he faced, including bias intimidation, for which he could have been given a 10-year prison sentence.
Last month, a judge said Ravi should have a shorter sentence in part because he did not commit violence.
Prosecutors are asking an appeals court for a longer sentence while Ravi is appealing his conviction.
Ravi's lawyers have told a judge that he will begin making monthly payments toward the more than $11,000 in fines and assessments he was ordered to pay as part of his sentence and will start serving 300 hours of community service.
If the sentence stands, Ravi also will have to check in with a probation officer for three years.
new jersey, suicide, rutgers university, local/state
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- Spotty, but drenching showers this afternoon, a t'storm also possible 1 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online 4 min ago
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Baby, man injured in SEPTA bus accident 31 min ago
- Bus co. mistake cancels kids' DC field trip
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Student and teacher shocked at Voorhees school
- 2 arrested for stealing tractor in Franklin Township 14 min ago
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping
- Man gets life in prison for murder of Pa. musician
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment