Pickpocket steals $3,000 from elderly man in Juniata
JUNIATA PARK - June 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a pickpocket was caught on survellience video stealing $3,000 from an elderly man in a Juniata Park market.
73-year-old Generoso Lopez was shopping with his wife at an Aldi grocery store on June 4.
The couple had just come from the bank with a large amount of cash - their life savings meant to be a graduation gift for his granddaughter.
"I told her before if you finish high school, I'm gonna give you some money to help you," he said.
Lopez had the money in an envelope in his front pocket. As he proceeded to bag his own groceries - the suspect walked over and swiped the envelope filled with hundred dollar bills.
Lopez didn't realize the money was missing until he got to the car and was faced to tell his granddaughter that her graduation gift was gone.
"I told her 'there goes your money sweetie, see what happened' and she said, 'don't worry about it grandpop," he said.
Meanhile, Lopez wants the suspect caught before he steals again.
Anyone with information on the suspect seen in the survellience video is asked to contact Philadelphia Police.
philadelphia, juniata park, theft, local/state, sarah bloomquist
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip 2 min ago
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia 19 min ago
- Doors smashed in 2 Prices Corner store burglaries
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 4 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila. 23 min ago
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
4 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N....
23 min ago