Authorities: NJ man conspired to kill prosecutor
TOMS RIVER, N.J. - June 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- A New Jersey man convicted of fatally shooting his neighbor during an argument over their marijuana growing operation is now accused of plotting to kill the prosecutor in his case.
Ocean County authorities would not disclose specific details about the alleged plot involving Jay Goldberg, citing the ongoing investigation. They say the 62-year-old Little Egg Harbor Township man is charged with attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder.
Goldberg was convicted earlier this year on aggravated manslaughter and drug charges in the 2009 slaying of 40-year-old Sarkis Shahinian. He faces up to 50 years in prison on those counts.
Executive Assistant Ocean County Prosecutor Michael Paulhus says Steven Cucci, the senior assistant county prosecutor who handled Goldberg's case, was the only person targeted in the alleged murder conspiracy.
new jersey, ocean county, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 26 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ