Authorities: NJ man conspired to kill prosecutor
TOMS RIVER, N.J. - June 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- A New Jersey man convicted of fatally shooting his neighbor during an argument over their marijuana growing operation is now accused of plotting to kill the prosecutor in his case.
Ocean County authorities would not disclose specific details about the alleged plot involving Jay Goldberg, citing the ongoing investigation. They say the 62-year-old Little Egg Harbor Township man is charged with attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder.
Goldberg was convicted earlier this year on aggravated manslaughter and drug charges in the 2009 slaying of 40-year-old Sarkis Shahinian. He faces up to 50 years in prison on those counts.
Executive Assistant Ocean County Prosecutor Michael Paulhus says Steven Cucci, the senior assistant county prosecutor who handled Goldberg's case, was the only person targeted in the alleged murder conspiracy.
new jersey, ocean county, local/state
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead 18 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Local help on the way for tornado victims 17 min ago
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help 16 min ago
- Street-level interactive weather map
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 16 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- SUV crashes when dog gets stuck in steering wheel
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids 53 min ago
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead
18 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos