Distress call spurs Coast Guard search off NJ
CAPE MAY, N.J. (AP) - June 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Coast Guard officials have suspended a search off the southern New Jersey coast that began after the agency received a mysterious distress call on Sunday morning.
The apparent hoax came less than a week after the Coast Guard staged a massive search off Sandy Hook that was prompted by another distress call which was later labeled a hoax. That search took five hours and cost rescue agencies more than $300,000.
Officials say the latest search began late Sunday morning after a radio call went out stating "Mayday, mayday, is anyone there?" The caller apparently provided information about the vessel's location, but not precise coordinates.
A Coast Guard helicopter was dispatched and searched an area about 12 miles off Cape May, but found no signs of a ship in distress. The search was suspended early Sunday afternoon
On June 11, a man claiming to be aboard a yacht called the Blind Date triggered a massive search when he reported three people dead, nine injured and 21 abandoning ship after an explosion 20 miles off Sandy Hook. Officials believe the hoax originated on land in either New Jersey or Staten Island, N.Y.
The Coast Guard is offering a $3,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and prosecution in the June 11 incident.
new jersey, cape may county, local/state
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police-involved shooting in Southwest Philadelphia
- Fire damages corner produce store in North Philly 3 min ago
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Middle Township crash
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Arrest warrant issued in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
8 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos