Distress call spurs Coast Guard search off NJ
CAPE MAY, N.J. (AP) - June 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Coast Guard officials have suspended a search off the southern New Jersey coast that began after the agency received a mysterious distress call on Sunday morning.
The apparent hoax came less than a week after the Coast Guard staged a massive search off Sandy Hook that was prompted by another distress call which was later labeled a hoax. That search took five hours and cost rescue agencies more than $300,000.
Officials say the latest search began late Sunday morning after a radio call went out stating "Mayday, mayday, is anyone there?" The caller apparently provided information about the vessel's location, but not precise coordinates.
A Coast Guard helicopter was dispatched and searched an area about 12 miles off Cape May, but found no signs of a ship in distress. The search was suspended early Sunday afternoon
On June 11, a man claiming to be aboard a yacht called the Blind Date triggered a massive search when he reported three people dead, nine injured and 21 abandoning ship after an explosion 20 miles off Sandy Hook. Officials believe the hoax originated on land in either New Jersey or Staten Island, N.Y.
The Coast Guard is offering a $3,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and prosecution in the June 11 incident.
new jersey, cape may county, local/state
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 24 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust 40 min ago
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Firing of school official in dog waste incident overturned
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
24 min ago