DA: Victim charged after lying about shooting
PHILADELPHIA - June 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia District Attorney's office has charged a man with perjury who allegedly lied about his own shooting.
James Ellis, 22, is currently on the run after being charged by a grand jury.
District Attorney Seth Williams said that Ellis, a convicted felon, lied repeatedly during the investigation into a 2011 shooting in which Ellis was shot numerous times.
According to the D.A., Ellis was shot somewhere in the area of 1000 Glenwood Street on the evening of June 27, 2011.
Ellis was found in a pool of blood after crashing his car into several parked vehicles. Inside his car, the D.A. said, police found drugs, a 9mm handgun and blood on a car seat.
After being treated for his injuries, the D.A. said that Ellis lied and told investigators he didn't know who shot him. However, the D.A. said, investigators were able to find information in Ellis' Facebook postings that indicated otherwise.
"The charge against James Ellis sends an extremely important message to the "No Snitching" culture that currently exists in Philadelphia," said District Attorney Seth Williams in a statement. "This is a man who was shot multiple times and miraculously lived. Instead of making the most of his second lease on life, Ellis decided to deceive the police and my office on multiple occasions."
Anyone with any information on Ellis' whereabouts is asked to contact the Philadelphia Police Department at 215-686-8477 (TIPS) or the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office at 215-686-9589.
philadelphia, shooting, local/state
- More Snow on the Way 53 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 50 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft 54 min ago
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- AAA: Prepare your car for winter driving now!
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- More Snow on the Way
53 min ago
- Woman finds, returns envelope full of cash
52 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration...
54 min ago