Dewey Beach murder suspect found dead in New Jersey
DEWEY BEACH, Del. - June 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police say the suspect in a murder in Dewey Beach, Delaware has been found dead in New Jersey.
Pawan Kumar, 26, was found dead at 1:42 p.m. of an apparent drug overdose at a motel in Bellville, New Jersey.
The Essex County Prosecutor's Office tells Action News they are awaiting a toxicology report from the medical examiner's office to confirm the cause of death.
Kumar, of the 3000 block of Naamans Road at the Stratford Apartments in Wilmington, was wanted for the murder of 26-year-old Danielle Mehlman of Bensalem.
Mehlman's body was found by housekeeping staff at 11:00 a.m. Monday in a room on the first floor of the Atlantic Oceanside Motel in the 1700 block of Coastal Highway.
While there is no word on a motive in her killing, the Essex County Prosecutor's Office say the victim and suspect had recently been dating.
Dewey Beach is a popular summertime destination between Rehoboth Beach and Bethany Beach along Delaware's Atlantic shore.
delaware, homicide, suspicious death, local/state
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking 25 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 6 min ago
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- 2 suspects wanted in home invasion in Dover 17 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall...
25 min ago