Dewey Beach murder suspect found dead in New Jersey
DEWEY BEACH, Del. - June 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police say the suspect in a murder in Dewey Beach, Delaware has been found dead in New Jersey.
Pawan Kumar, 26, was found dead at 1:42 p.m. of an apparent drug overdose at a motel in Bellville, New Jersey.
The Essex County Prosecutor's Office tells Action News they are awaiting a toxicology report from the medical examiner's office to confirm the cause of death.
Kumar, of the 3000 block of Naamans Road at the Stratford Apartments in Wilmington, was wanted for the murder of 26-year-old Danielle Mehlman of Bensalem.
Mehlman's body was found by housekeeping staff at 11:00 a.m. Monday in a room on the first floor of the Atlantic Oceanside Motel in the 1700 block of Coastal Highway.
While there is no word on a motive in her killing, the Essex County Prosecutor's Office say the victim and suspect had recently been dating.
Dewey Beach is a popular summertime destination between Rehoboth Beach and Bethany Beach along Delaware's Atlantic shore.
delaware, homicide, suspicious death, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd 33 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 36 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball