Dewey Beach murder suspect found dead in New Jersey
DEWEY BEACH, Del. - June 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police say the suspect in a murder in Dewey Beach, Delaware has been found dead in New Jersey.
Pawan Kumar, 26, was found dead at 1:42 p.m. of an apparent drug overdose at a motel in Bellville, New Jersey.
The Essex County Prosecutor's Office tells Action News they are awaiting a toxicology report from the medical examiner's office to confirm the cause of death.
Kumar, of the 3000 block of Naamans Road at the Stratford Apartments in Wilmington, was wanted for the murder of 26-year-old Danielle Mehlman of Bensalem.
Mehlman's body was found by housekeeping staff at 11:00 a.m. Monday in a room on the first floor of the Atlantic Oceanside Motel in the 1700 block of Coastal Highway.
While there is no word on a motive in her killing, the Essex County Prosecutor's Office say the victim and suspect had recently been dating.
Dewey Beach is a popular summertime destination between Rehoboth Beach and Bethany Beach along Delaware's Atlantic shore.
delaware, homicide, suspicious death, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 6 min ago
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ