Dewey Beach murder suspect found dead in New Jersey
DEWEY BEACH, Del. - June 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Delaware State Police say the suspect in a murder in Dewey Beach, Delaware has been found dead in New Jersey.
Pawan Kumar, 26, was found dead at 1:42 p.m. of an apparent drug overdose at a motel in Bellville, New Jersey.
The Essex County Prosecutor's Office tells Action News they are awaiting a toxicology report from the medical examiner's office to confirm the cause of death.
Kumar, of the 3000 block of Naamans Road at the Stratford Apartments in Wilmington, was wanted for the murder of 26-year-old Danielle Mehlman of Bensalem.
Mehlman's body was found by housekeeping staff at 11:00 a.m. Monday in a room on the first floor of the Atlantic Oceanside Motel in the 1700 block of Coastal Highway.
While there is no word on a motive in her killing, the Essex County Prosecutor's Office say the victim and suspect had recently been dating.
Dewey Beach is a popular summertime destination between Rehoboth Beach and Bethany Beach along Delaware's Atlantic shore.
delaware, homicide, suspicious death, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight 28 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ