Pa. table games revenue up 7.4 percent last month
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - June 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Gross revenue from table games was up 7.4 percent last month compared to a year ago, boosted by the second full month of play at the state's newest casino, according to the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board's table games revenue totals released Monday.
But when comparing only the 10 casinos that were open in both May 2011 and May 2012, the increase was a more modest 3.1 percent.
Sands Casino Resort in Bethlehem showed the biggest gains last month compared to a year ago, pulling in nearly $10.9 million in gross revenue - representing an increase of more than 50 percent.
Harrah's Philadelphia, in the southern suburb of Chester, saw a double-digit decline, with nearly $6.1 million in gross revenue - down more than 12 percent from the same period last year. Sugarhouse Casino in Philadelphia continued to show gains, pulling in $6,867,973 last month, an increase of 3.5 percent over the same period the year before. Valley Forge Casino Resort, in Philadelphia's western suburbs, pulled in $2.2 million from table games last month, its second full month in operation.
The Meadows Racetrack & Casino outside Pittsburgh saw a decline of more than 25 percent during the period, going from $3.7 million in May 2011 to $2.7 million last month. Rivers Casino in Pittsburgh was down 3.7 percent for the period.
In northeastern Pennsylvania, Mohegan Sun at Pocono Downs showed a slight increase, while Mount Airy Casino Resort declined about 12 percent from a year ago, with about $2.8 million in gross revenue from table games last month.
The state taxes casino revenue and uses it to support the state budget, public schools, civic development projects, volunteer firefighting squads, local governments and the horse racing industry. Pennsylvania, which legalized gaming in 2004 and saw its first casino open two years later, has 11 casinos and could someday be home to 14.
pennsylvania, gambling, casinos, local/state
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine! 36 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 14 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel 26 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 55 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst 58 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious'
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine!
36 min ago