Police release surveillance of violent bicycle bandit
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - June 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have released surveillance video of a bandit on a bicycle who has attacked two women.
RELATED: Watch the surveillance video
The first incident happened Saturday morning June 16th at 6:15 a.m. in the 400 block of Christian Street. Police say the man approached a woman who walking down the street, grabbed her from behind by the neck and assaulted her.
He then took her purse and fled.
The second incident took place Sunday morning June 17th at 7:25 a.m.in the 600 block of Catharine Street, near the location where the surveillance video was recorded.
A woman walking on the street noticed a man on a dark colored bicycle with a white "T" shirt covering his face circling the block.
Police say the suspect approached that woman from behind, grabbed her by the neck and forced her to the ground. He took her purse containing $300 in cash, various credit cards and identification and then fled east on Catharine Street.
Police are describing the suspect as a black male in his 20s, 5'9 to 6' tall, medium to light complexion wearing a light t-shirt. In one of the cases the victim saw him riding an older model black pedal bike.
Anyone with information is being asked to call South Detectives at 215-686-3013 or -3014.
assault, philadelphia, south philadelphia, robbery, local/state
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City 42 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success' 54 min ago
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
42 min ago