Philadelphia Eagles consider upgrading Lincoln Financial Field
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - June 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Eagles are proposing a major makeover at their South Philadelphia stadium.
Team officials are looking at a project that they hope will generate additional revenue and improve the fan experience at Lincoln Financial Field.
"We're always looking for ways improve the building and improve the experience to keep it fresh, state of the art," said the Eagles' new president, Don Smolenski.
Smolenski confirmed to Action News that the birds are exploring upgrades to their 69,000 seat home.
Among the things being considered: improved video boards, a restaurant, more seats, and so-called field-level suites such as those built into the lower level of the Cowboys stadium in Dallas.
Could such suites be retro fitted here?
"I think if you talk to a contractor he can do anything," said Smolenski. "It's just a matter of what price you want to put to it."
Smolenski would not confirm published estimates of a $60-$100 million price tag for renovations. While the stadium is city-owned, improvements must be paid for by the Eagles, not taxpayers.
"That's a business decision that they make," said Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, "and we don't have any financial responsibility whatsoever."
The Eagles say they have been asking focus groups of ticket holders what they would like changed.
"We are processing all their responses," said Smolenski.
We spoke with some tailgating Phillies fans who are also Eagles fans. They like the Linc.
"Good sightlines to watch the game, easy access to the bathrooms," said one man.
And as for what they don't like?
"Normally I can't afford to go to games anyway," said Katie MacConnell of Northeast Philadelphia. "Maybe they could lower ticket prices."
philadelphia, philadelphia eagles, lincoln financial field, south philadelphia, local/state, john rawlins
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 30 min ago
- Lots of clouds, damp and cool today 16 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer 33 min ago
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk...
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load 26 min ago
- AC casino manager charged with promoting prostitution
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days 28 min ago
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- Firing of school official in dog waste incident overturned
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport 24 min ago
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy...
33 min ago
- Faith-healing couple held without bail
30 min ago
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
28 min ago
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by...
26 min ago