Robbers hit 2 nail salons in S. Phila.
PHILADELPHIA - June 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are hoping to catch armed robbers who hit two nail salons in and around South Philadelphia.
Action News has learned exclusively that the robberies happened just minutes apart Tuesday night.
"We believe that they are very dangerous and we need to get them off the street," said Captain Larry Nodiff.
Police believe the robbers could strike again.
Police say it was Tuesday evening around 6:00pm that gunman went into South Philly's Nail Salon on the 2200 block of South 20th Street.
"A male runs into the store brandishing a handgun. He threatens the employees and demands money. He receives $20," said Captain Nodiff.
The guy leaves, but apparently believes he is being had.
"Apparently, he isn't satisfied with his take. He comes back in and starts waving the gun around again, demanding more money," Captain Nodiff said.
The nail salon employees try to explain that they don't have much cash around.
The guy leaves, picks up a friend and shows up 20 minutes later at Casey Hair Salon a few blocks away thinking he might have better luck.
"Two males enter the property brandishing guns, threatening employees. They start ransacking the place, going through drawers looking for cash, and they leave without getting any cash," said Captain Nodiff.
Police believe the perpetrators must be very desperate going around in broad daylight hitting hair salons, which historically, do not have a lot of cash.
"The fact that they very abruptly enter these nail salons, brandishing handguns, waving them around wildly, demanding cash, is very serious cause for alarm," Nodiff said.
The suspects are described as two black males in their 20's, 5'9" tall, weighing around 165 pounds. One of them had a tattoo of tear drops under his left eye.
Police are asking anyone with information to call 911.
robbery, south philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state, dann cuellar
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 57 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 9 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 36 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow 51 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases