Sizzling temps trigger demand for A/C, fans
PHILADELPHIA - June 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Not even a river breeze could help at Penn's Landing today.
The Independence Seaport Museum opted to close the crusier Olympia when inside temperatures of the flagship neared triple digits.
"The Olympia is intact as she was and that's without air conditioning. We have a bunch of fans that run, but they essentially just act as hair dryers and move the hot air around the ship," Jesse Lebovics of the Independence Seaport Museum said.
To try to beat the heat those who needed an AM workout along Kelly drive were out in force by 7:30.
PECO today donated 500 fans to senior groups in the five counties. In extreme heat, seniors and the disabled are most at risk and that's something visiting Nurse Jean Lagenbach is aware of.
"Dehydration only takes several hours to do you in, especially when you're frail and elderly," Jean Lagenbach of the Community Care of the Northeast.
Lagenbach, with the faith based Community Care of the Northeast, let us tag along on two home visits.
In both stops, the A/C was cooling and clients were well-versed in how to deal with extreme heat.
"I don't go out as much as I sometimes do," client Martha Moser said.
But Lagenbach says some folks on fixed income try to save money and shut off their air conditioning.
"Just last week I rescued two people. Phone calls came from the home health aides, saying the home was 90 degrees inside. They were weak, they could barely make it down the steps," Lagenbach said.
Officials say, in this type of heat, make sure to check in on the elderly and homebound.
philadelphia, heat wave, local/state, john rawlins
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 8 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
- Video: Firefighters rescue puppy from sewer drain