Sizzling temps trigger demand for A/C, fans
PHILADELPHIA - June 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- Not even a river breeze could help at Penn's Landing today.
The Independence Seaport Museum opted to close the crusier Olympia when inside temperatures of the flagship neared triple digits.
"The Olympia is intact as she was and that's without air conditioning. We have a bunch of fans that run, but they essentially just act as hair dryers and move the hot air around the ship," Jesse Lebovics of the Independence Seaport Museum said.
To try to beat the heat those who needed an AM workout along Kelly drive were out in force by 7:30.
PECO today donated 500 fans to senior groups in the five counties. In extreme heat, seniors and the disabled are most at risk and that's something visiting Nurse Jean Lagenbach is aware of.
"Dehydration only takes several hours to do you in, especially when you're frail and elderly," Jean Lagenbach of the Community Care of the Northeast.
Lagenbach, with the faith based Community Care of the Northeast, let us tag along on two home visits.
In both stops, the A/C was cooling and clients were well-versed in how to deal with extreme heat.
"I don't go out as much as I sometimes do," client Martha Moser said.
But Lagenbach says some folks on fixed income try to save money and shut off their air conditioning.
"Just last week I rescued two people. Phone calls came from the home health aides, saying the home was 90 degrees inside. They were weak, they could barely make it down the steps," Lagenbach said.
Officials say, in this type of heat, make sure to check in on the elderly and homebound.
philadelphia, heat wave, local/state, john rawlins
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester 49 min ago
- Van crash leaves 2 men trapped in Center City
- Victim critical after stabbing in Frankford 50 min ago
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire 53 min ago
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession 9 min ago
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
52 min ago